Re: The Pursuit of FOSSMAT

Dear Rock,

I must say that I have no real glue about space vehicel simulation at
all. Up to now the packages deal with observational astronomy and
astrophysical simulations. There are some satellite tracking programs in
Debian, but they mainly cover the hamradio field -- we didn't have
someone sufficiently interested in that field yet so that we don't have
a section about satellites and spaceship.

About GMAT: I would also think that the NASA license is not DFSG
compliant; however it may be a matter to discuss in debian-legal; they
often have better arguments here. But: the sourcefore page of GMAT

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmat/

says that GMAT is Apache-2 licensed, so maybe your information is
outdated here (or the sourceforge page is). Apache-2 is one of the
approved DFSG compatible licenses, so this would not be a problem.

Otherwise it may be worth to discuss the license with the developers;
getting the software into Debian may be an argument to switch to
something free. It would be definitely worth packaging for Debian.

Best regards

Ole