Re: Executables in pydl

* Vincent Prat [2016-09-15 16:33:46 +0200]:
> The problem is that for each entry point, two executables are produced, one
> for Python 2, and the other for Python 3, but with the same name and
> location (/usr/bin), thus creating a conflict if both packages are
> installed.
> I see several possibilities to solve the issue:
> - remove these executables, since users could use directly the libraries
> - rename them (e.g. compute_templates-python2 and -python3)
> - mark the two packages as conflicting, but I do not think this is a good
> idea.

You forgot at least two possibilities:
 - rename them and let sysadmins choose through update-alternatives;
 - split the executables into separate mutually-conflicting packages.

> What is your opinion?

It depends on the size of the executables. If it is significant, I'd
split them into separate packages. In any case, if you want them to be
coinstallable you can use the alternatives system. Does it make sense
for an admin to prefer Python 2 for some of the executables and Python 3
for others? That can have implications for how to set up the alternatives.