Re: Executables in pydl

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 04:33:46PM +0200, Vincent Prat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently working on packaging pydl, and the build system produces some
> executables using entry points defined in setup.cfg.
>
> The problem is that for each entry point, two executables are produced, one
> for Python 2, and the other for Python 3, but with the same name and
> location (/usr/bin), thus creating a conflict if both packages are
> installed.
> I see several possibilities to solve the issue:
> - remove these executables, since users could use directly the libraries
> - rename them (e.g. compute_templates-python2 and -python3)
> - mark the two packages as conflicting, but I do not think this is a good
> idea.
>
> What is your opinion?

Hi Vincent,

I had the same issue with python-mido, I wrote this patch[1] that checks for
the Python version at build time so I can rename the binary file depending
on the version.

[1]: https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/python-mido.git/tree/debian/patches/01-fix-python-version-binaries.patch

Cheers

---