Re: fun with casa

Ole Streicher <olebole@debian.org> writes:

> heroxbd@gentoo.org writes:
>> I am aware that upstream is not interested in packaging
>>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=688107#37
>
> As you may guess, this mail quite disappointed me and I lost my interest
> in packaging -- the way CASA is developed doesn't look to me that it
> will get a really high-quality package (as, for example, astropy). Also,
> I was disappointed by the bad and quite formal contact to upstream. YMMV
> here.

I understand.

> The most point for me here was however that they didn't use the released
> casacore libraries but had their own versions. I heared that this
> changed recently?

I would expect nasty hidden bugs introduced by such gray customization.

>> We might at least strip off the bundled libraries to persuade upstream
>> to release lighter weight tarballs.
>
> We can also use a repackaging script to create them ourself. Downloading
> 2.4 GB if a new version is available is not a big problem anymore... Can
> you estimate how large the casa package is when all bundled software is
> removed?

A rough estimation goes like this,

35.7MiB casapy-42.2.30986-1-64b/lib64/python2.7/__casac__
18.5MiB casapy-42.2.30986-1-64b/lib64/python2.7/asap
54.2MiB total

Suppose I miscounted something, chances are it is smaller than 100MiB.

Cheers,
Benda