Re: linux-config: Enabling Kernel Configurations for MediaTek Platforms (CONFIG_ARCH_MEDIATEK)

On 9/25/23 17:45, Macpaul Lin wrote:

Sorry I've forget to apply the meta information about this issue:

Package: linux-config-6.1, linux-config-6.5, linux-arm64
Release: bookworm, trixie.
Version:
Severity: normal
User:
Usertags:

Dear Maintainers,

I am currently working on enabling Debian on MediaTek platforms. The target SoCs include MT8365, MT8195/MT8395, and MT8188/MT8390. I attempted to use a USB flash drive with the latest Debian release DVD image on these boards, but there were no logs available after jumping into the kernel from grub.

Upon examining the kernel configurations, I noticed that none of the MediaTek-related kernel configurations are enabled by default. As a result, I plan to submit patches and file issues with the Debian community. I think the very beginning configration will be "CONFIG_ARCH_MEDIATEK=y" and other necessary peripherals like power/clock/uart, etc.

Although I have experience as a Debian user, I am new to the role of an issue reporter. I have read the bug report how-to guide, but I still have some questions about submitting patches for SoC enablement on Debian. This is particularly challenging as this is the first time to port MediaTek platforms to the Debian distribution. I have registered for the kernel mailing list and created a GitLab account for sending merge requests.

Here are my questions:

1. What is the best way to file issues with patches? Should I file one issue per patch or per single configuration change? 2. Should I send a series of patches for platform enablement as a single issue via GitLab, or should I send patches through the mailing list? 3. Should I send patches for different branches separately? For instance, I have cloned "https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux.git";. Should I send patches or merge requests for different branches like bookworm and trixie (is 'sid' currently means 'trixie'?) to keep the setting in future releases? 4. Is there a verification method for kernel configurations on Debian? I currently have a running Ubuntu on MediaTek platforms and can debug kernel configurations on Ubuntu. However, I don't have a bootable Debian on these boards. Should I use debootstrap "https://wiki.debian.org/Debootstrap"; on Ubuntu boards to install Debian and build the Debian kernel at the initial stage?

I appreciate your guidance on these matters. I am eager to contribute to kernel configurations on Debian for MediaTek platforms.

Best regards,
Macpaul Lin