Re: Cubox-i bullseye -> bookworm Upgrade failure

On Mon, Aug 14, 2023 at 08:02:32AM +0300, Reco wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 13, 2023 at 04:53:13PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > Enjoy your (un)Predictable Interface Names.
> > > Try adding "net.ifnames=0" to kernel's commandline.

> > They're perfectly predictable, they're just not backwards-compatible.

> If one cannot predict the interface name after the reboot then obviously
> Predictable Interface Names are not that predictable :)

Can one not?  That seems like something that should be addressed in
general, then.

> > Forcing systems to use the legacy naming scheme to avoid the transition is
> > short-sighted.

> So is breaking user's setup.

Yes, but *having done so*, trying to roll back the new default behavior
instead of leaning into it is just going to cause more problems down the
line.

You have to make changes to config files in response to this change, so it
might as well be /etc/network/interfaces instead of your bootloader config.

I think that's a very good idea.  https://bugs.debian.org/release-notes ?

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/