How can I tell Debian on a Raspberry Pi 4B (4GB) which kernel image to load at boot time?

I have a set of three Raspberry-Pi 4B (4GB) machines.  They all are running the Debian for Rpi from [1].

They all were happily running the kernel from package "linux-image-6.1.0-9-arm64". But, recently, a passing "apt upgrade" installed "linux-image-6.1.0-10-arm64" on them.  On all three of them, the "needrestart" command pointed out that there was a new kernel and I needed to reboot.  On two of them, I rebooted and it came up running the new kernel (6.1.0-10).  On the third, however, reboot came up running the old kernel (6.1.0-9) ?!?  The only difference that I can think of between the pair where the upgrade worked and the one where the upgrade didn't work, is that the singleton had been running Bullseye and was upgraded in-place to Bookworm, while the other two had been initially installed with Bookworm.  So maybe there was something left-over from Bullseye that caused it?

So, the bottom line for me is: How can I now tell the boot scripts to use (6.1.0-10) instead of (6.1.0-9)  And what do I have to do to make sure this doesn't happen again the next time there's a kernel upgrade?

[1] https://raspi.debian.net/tested-images/

Thanks for any clues you can give me!
Rick