Re: Debian on Lenovo Chromebook (ARMv8)

I'll start with the most important thing first.

On Sun, 9 Apr 2023 14:14:33 +0200
Thomas U. Grüttmüller <sloyment@gmx.net> wrote:
>   • /dev/mmcblk0p4 which is mounted as / is only 2.9 GB large, so most
>      of the MMC is still free space. So the next step would be to enlarge
>      this partitition, but I don’t know how.

Beware of using parted and parted-based tools (I think a lot of graphical
partitioners use libparted).  My experience is that they will delete the ChromeOS-firmware boot flags on the partitions, rendering your install unbootable.  If you want to use parted and friends, get familiar with cgpt (which is packaged for debian) which you should use after each partition edit to verify/reset the ChromeBoot flags.
Alternatively, VelvetOS should come with a /scripts/ directory in its filesystem image, containing /scripts/extend-rootfs.sh.  When I used it, it was a pretty simple/inflexible script to grow your / to take up all the empty space.  There's some details at https://github.com/hexdump0815/imagebuilder/blob/main/doc/first-steps.md

>   • Velvet OS is based on Debian sid, not stable.

If you reconfigure apt to target bookworm, I think this should evolve pretty smoothly over the next few "apt-get"s.

>   • Velvet OS comes with XFCE. I don’t know how to uninstall XFCE,
>      so that startx will start IceWM. This is weird, but propably due to
>      my lack of knowledge.

There's two things here:
1) It sounds like you want it to boot into text mode instead of the graphical login.  But maybe you have already figured this part out.
2) You're having trouble figuring out how to get the package manager to uninstall xfce and/or install IceWM.
If you provide more detail, I'm sure someone here (or on debian-user, or IRC, or something) can help you.

>   • /dev/mmcblk0p4 which is mounted as / is formatted as BTRFS. I’ve
>      never heared of this before. Is this good or bad, compared to EXT4?
>      Also, I don’t know what would be the steps to replace it with an
>      EXT4 partition.

I've only heard good things about BTRFS.  However, one caveat... If you have other computers running older versions of Linux, they may have trouble reading BTRFS partitions -- I ran into this when trying to read my VelvetOS thumbdrive on another computer.

Anyways, congratulations!  You may want to post on
https://github.com/hexdump0815/imagebuilder/issues/68, either for general discussion or just to report your success/gratitude to the author.

One question:
Do you have sound?  I set up mine a few months ago, and it has no sound.  I'm wondering if I should try a newer version.