Re: Looking for an armhf install image

On Sun, Apr 02, 2023 at 09:51:23PM -0400, Alan Corey wrote:
> I know I can but it will be twice as slow, which is why I want armhf.
> Under 64 bit both the data and pointers will be twice as big.  With
> unlimited memory that would be OK but a Pi CPU can only access 1 GB.
> I've tried 64 bit.

It's certainly a balance trade off.  The pointers will be twice as large.
The data will be whatever size the code asked for.  Only in the case that
the code asked to use a long will be be 32 bit in one case and 64 bit
in the other case.  Most code isn't that sloppy about their data types.

In terms of actual code, apparently the A53 core runs 64 bit code about
20% faster than 32 bit code, so it comes down to whether you are doing
execution heavy or data heavy work.

--
Len Sorensen