Re: abi-compliance-checker and library transitions [Re: another attempt at Y2038]

On 2023-02-15 17:08 +0000, Wookey wrote:
> On 2023-02-04 21:42 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
>
> Yes I think we should proceed with this analysis on debian to get a
> better handle on just how many libraries we are looking at.

OK. We have over 10,000 *-dev package in debian so this took a while,
but I've now finished an initial pass.
The results are:
Total -dev packages: 10323
Time_t changes ABI: 329
LFS changes ABI: 58    0.6%
ABI unchanged: 1840    5.6%
Compilation failed: 1637
No headers in pkg: 3852
No library in pkg: 5086
total analysed: 10249
(note that the no-headers and no-libs categories are not exclusive
- the other classifications are)

Not quite sure where we lost 74 packages down the back of the sofa but at 0.7% it's noise.

So we have about 5000 packages which can basically be ignored for this purpose:
golang* (1943)
librust* (1955) - source-only, no dynamic linking, no .so's in any package
and libghc* (1065) - changes ABI at drop of hat (every new version) anyway.

Of the remaining 5360, 5237 have .so files to check. Of those 329
change ABI and another 58 are not built with LFS currently
so also change ABI due to that. That's 387 (7%).

34% are fine. And an annoyingly large 1637 (30%) did not build under
Abi-compliance-checker to determine one way or the other. Assuming 7%
of those are a problem that's another 114 packages.

I've yet to determine how many of the 'no-libs/no-headers' packages
actually expose an ABI we need to worry about. There will be some
more, from stuff like boost and Qt.

So the scale of the transition task in Debian is quite a lot bigger than in
Ubuntu: Probably 400-500 packages.

I've linked my lists on the wiki page.
https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/64bit-time

I believe Steve L (who has done most of the heavy lifting on the
script) is running a check too and will have some results soon.

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Debian, Wookware, ARM
http://wookware.org/