Re: abi-compliance-checker and library transitions [Re: another attempt at Y2038]

On Monday, 20 February 2023 16:24:37 CET Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2023, at 18:08, Wookey wrote:
> > On 2023-02-04 21:42 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >> On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 09:42:58PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >>
> >> Does doing an ABI transition of ~113 libraries seem tractable to folks?
> >
> > It certainly provides evidence for the idea that this is not
> > completely intractable, which I think many people (including me)
> > worried was the case initially.
>
> When I did a similar analysis a few years ago using just pattern-matching
> on header files, the result was that more than half the total packages
> in Debian depended on at least one other package that needed an ABI
> transition, which in my mind made it unrealistic.

If you do it in the early stage of Trixie's dev cycle, would it still be
unrealistic? It may be a bumpy ride and take a while, but I don't see an
immediate issue with that. Sid may finally become Unstable again ;-P

But *when* you do it, is quite relevant. If you/we are only a few months away
from the Trixie Freeze, then it's probably not a good idea.
But if we're 1-1.5 years before that, there's plenty of time to fix things.

Or is that too simplistic on my part?