Re: Building (Debian) kernel optimized for RPi Zero (W) and 1

On 10/23/22 16:31, Diederik de Haas wrote:
Hi,

Debian provides a kernel for Raspberry Pi Zero (W) and 1, but that targets
the armel architecture. I want to compile a/the Debian kernel that does use the
HW capabilities of the RPi 0/1, similarly to how raspbian.org recompiles
the Debian packages. Except AFAIK the Debian kernel.

I know that Debian won't change their RPi kernel for armel, but this is for
private use. But I don't know what the best way to go about that is.

I found the following link wrt building a cross compiler
https://solarianprogrammer.com/2018/05/06/building-gcc-cross-compiler-raspberry-pi/
which in turn references
https://preshing.com/20141119/how-to-build-a-gcc-cross-compiler/
and that does look promising.

But before diving full into it, I'd like to know whether this is the proper
approach or not. And if someone has good/better links, I'd appreciate it if
you'd share them :-)

While I (technically) could setup a system to compile natively, I want to use
cross compilation (on amd64 PC). I think it would otherwise take days.
Probably an over estimate unless you don't have any SSD hardware for workspace.  I do, 240Gigs on a startech usb to sata adaptor  and I have built an armhf version
of 4.19 in under an hour on an rpi4. Working on a u-sd card,
you'll be abusing the card and quite a few hours. I would not even try it on less than a 64G u-sd.
You'll surely kill an 8G u-sd card by writing it to death..
But knowing how to compile natively would be nice too.
I do know how to compile Debian's kernels, both natively and cross building.

Cheers,
   Diederik

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)