armhf kernels on arm64 hardware

On 2022-07-15 18:42 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-07-15 at 12:04 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>
> > If you see /other/ problems with the 64-bit kernel (using the
> > same user space, kernel source and kernel config as the 32-bit
> > kernel), please report those to the respective upstream kernel
> > maintainers so we can fix those as well.
>
> Gene's complaint is unrelated to this thread, but it is that Debian
> refuses to support running the 32-bit ARMMP kernel on 64-bit hardware,
> specifically on the RaspberryPi 4b. There wasn't any justification from
> Debian given in the bug reports, but it sounds like only build config
> options are needed to be enabled, but Debian refuses to do that:
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=971059#12
> https://bugs.debian.org/981586

Ah thanks Paul. I was wondering why we were being accused of 'Debian
abandonning armhf' when it was news to me, and I'm just writing the
'ARM ports status' talk for Debconf next week.

Clearly one normally does not run foreign-arch kernels on hardware so
we don't have to support it, and Ben is right to say 'this is not a
bug'.

On the other hand, if the armhf kernel does work on RPi4 with a few
config options, and there is an actual use case, then the question is
what is the downside of enabling the config options?

Does this only work for the RPi4, or does it enable/prevent 32-bit kernels on other 64-bit machines?

Do i386 kernels work on amd64 machines?

Sounds like something that might be worth discussion at debconf next week. I'll mention it in the talk.

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Debian, Wookware, ARM
http://wookware.org/