Re: armhf: abel.d.o hardware status ?

On 2022-06-29 08:54 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> [cc me please]
>
> Dear armhf gurus,
>
> Could someone please confirm that abel.d.o hardware is almost like a
> good old RaspberryPi Model 2B ? I am trying to understand why valgrind
> is supposed to work on arm32/linux but fails miserably on abel.d.o.

Abel is a marvell Armada 370/XP CPU (4 cores) in the form of an MV78460 dev board.
Marvell have their own architecture licence so it's not an ARM (the company) design)

It has these CPU features:
half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee vfpv3 tls idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae

so that means it doesn't have neon, which would trip up code assuming that it doesn.
It's also a v7 core.

The RPi Model2B was oringally a Broadcom BCM2836 (quadcore Cortex-A7)
and later (v1.2) was a BCM2837 (quadcore Cortex A53) (Both ARM (the
company) core designs, but A53 is v8 and A7 is v7 ISA).

So abel and the original RPi 2B are similar in that both are v7, 4-core
CPUs. But they have different HWCAPS and microarchitectures. (And the
later A53/BCM2837 is quite different with a 64-bit v8 CPU)

I'm failing to find the /proc/cpuinfo or HWCAPS spec for the cortex
A7, but it does have neon, so no they are not 'the same'.  If you want
to see if this is the issue, try the 'harris' porterbox, which is
different v7 32-bit CPU (Freeescale i.MX53), but does have neon.

What exactly is going wrong when you try to use valgrind?

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Debian, Wookware, ARM
http://wookware.org/