Re: where, besides raspian can I find a full armhf installer that works on an rpi4b?

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 06:17:16PM +0100, LinAdmin wrote:
> When on 16 Mar 2021 I gave the solution in
>
> I was told from the omnipotent gurus of Debian that nobody needs 32 Bit and
> the bug was closed.
>
> After that, everybody requiring 32 Bit went with Ubuntu 20.4 LTS which is
> not as stubborn as Debian.

No - not quite. That's not what the bug history says. You will find that
Ubuntu isn't supported on all Pi models, for example, but only on later
models that are ARMv7. In general, people are opting for 64 bit for Pi 3 and
Pi 4 - see also Fedora.

If you actually talk to the people doing the work, you often find the reasons
why - they're not all "omnipotent gurus" and they're generally approachable.

As it stands today, we can't support the Raspberry Pi (at any version) with
an official Debian installer because of the method of booting and the need
for non-free firmware. There's a good port for UEFI - and that's what
Fedora is also using, for example - but the need for non-free firmware
persists.

> LinAdmin
>
> On 24.01.22 02:23, gene heskett wrote:
> > I thought I had some cornered earlier today, but when written to u-sd
> > and booted, were arm64.
> >
> > For low latency reasons when a realtime kernel is installed it must be
> > for armhf.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett.

?? Why must it be armhf - a Pi 4 is massively faster/more capable than
a Pi 1 ?? Could you explain what difference 32 bitness makes?

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater