Re: Help with testing u-boot!

On 2022-12-29, gene heskett wrote:
> On 12/28/22 19:17, Diederik de Haas wrote:
>> On Thursday, 29 December 2022 00:21:05 CET Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
>>> debian stable (2021.01*), testing (2022.04*), unstable (2022.10*)
>>> and experimental (2023.01-rc*)
> But a bpi m5 makes no attempt to boot it green led remains dim
> forever.

Presuming you mean bananapi-m5, it is not enabled yet in the Debian
packages of u-boot...

> I can mount it in my reader, a iso-9660 and its not a u-boot, its
> grub. So which of the arm64 iso's is u-booter?

None of the debian-installer iso images contain u-boot. They only work
with systems with EFI firmware installed (which, somewhat confusingly,
u-boot could provide in some cases).

U-boot is board-specific, so a single image will almost never support
booting more than a very small number of systems.

Supported debian-installer platforms that have at some point in history
been tested to work are:

  https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/arm64/daily/u-boot/

There are SD card images you can build, see the
README.concatenatable_images at:

  https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/arm64/daily/netboot/SD-card-images/

You can typically using the firmware.none.img and manually add
u-boot. Which offsets to write to are board-specific, though there are
often common patterns for various board families (e.g. sunxi SoCs mostly
have the same offsets, rockchip SoC mostly use same offsets)...

The bananapi-m5 appears to be amlogic based, and there are a few other
amlogic based boards enabled in Debian's u-boot-amlogic package, but
unfortunately they require quite a few extra hoops to jump through that
make it difficult for Debian to ship images that you can just write to
boot media.

There are hints at fixing part of the problem at
u-boot.git/doc/board/amlogic/libretech-cc.rst:

  Note that Amlogic provides aml_encrypt_gxl as a 32-bit x86 binary with no
  source code. Should you prefer to avoid that, there are open source reverse
  engineered versions available:

  1. gxlimg <https://github.com/repk/gxlimg>, which comes with a handy
     Makefile that automates the whole process.
  2. meson-tools <https://github.com/afaerber/meson-tools>

  However, these community-developed alternatives are not endorsed by or
  supported by Amlogic.

live well,
  vagrant