Re: Debian 11 on Sheevaplug?

Gilles <codecomplete@free.fr> writes:

> On 08/06/2022 00:54, Rick Thomas wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2022, at 6:32 AM, Gilles wrote:
>>> It ends with a single error : "partman: mkswap: can't open '/dev/sda5':
>>> No such file or directory":
>>>
>>> https://pastebin.com/raw/h0beZWnP
>> It looks like /dev/sd5 doesn't actually exist.  This is probably because the USB stick has an MBR partition table which by default only provides partitions 1-4.  You may need to pre-partition it with a GUID partition table.
>>
>> Rick
>
> Good call. After using Windows' diskpart*, I removed the MBR and
> converted to GPT. The installer went one step further… and failed:
>
> https://postimg.cc/ns5XMQL7
>
> Here's the log:
>
> https://pastebin.com/raw/htYCmhS3

The ``bad block bitmap checksum'' relating to /dev/sda2, followed by
``Remounting filesystem read-only'' seems to be the source of your
problem.

After that point nothing's going to work because your new root
filesystem (/target/) is faulty, and is now read-only, so there's no way
to create the /target/boot directory, so the mount of the boot partition
fails.

My guess would be an underlying hardware fault on whatever /dev/sda2 is.

I don't suppose there's any chance it's a fake USB stick - see:

  http://oss.digirati.com.br/f3/  (packaged for Debian as ``f3'')

Cheers, Phil.