Re: Solved: cubox-i does not boot after upgrade to bullseye

On 2021-12-29, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 29. Dezember 2021, 19:33:20 CET schrieb Vagrant Cascadian:
>> If you've used "saveenv" to save the u-boot environment variables, even
>> if you upgrade u-boot, the environment will remain frozen in the state
>> when you ran "saveenv".
>>
>> I strongly discourage using "saveenv" as this makes upgrading u-boot
>> more difficult as you end up with inconsistent values between the u-boot
>> version you're running and the environment you've saved.  This will
>> often work fine, although as you've discovered, sometimes updates to the
>> environment fixes bugs.
>>
>> You have to erase or overwrite the environment area on the microSD to
>> get new defaults; not sure off the top of my head where exactly this is
>> for the cubox-i.
>>
>> If there is no saved environment, u-boot uses built-in defaults from the
>> version of u-boot you're running.
>
> Wouldn't
>
> => env default -a
>
> enforce a reset to a default environment
>
> https://www.vermasachin.com/posts/3-u-boot-environment-variables/

Only for the running u-boot, it will load from the environment at next
boot... and if you use saveenv, it will save exactly that
environment... and possibly some other quirks such as missing or changed
auto-detected environment variables at boot which can cause
inconsistancies if you then run saveenv.

To really reset it for the cubox-i, you need to overwrite at least the
beginning of address 0xFE000 on your boot media:

  $ grep ENV configs/mx6cuboxi_defconfig
  CONFIG_ENV_SIZE=0x2000
  CONFIG_ENV_OFFSET=0xFE000

The mx6cuboxi defconfig should also be findable in
/usr/share/doc/u-boot-imx/configs/ if you have u-boot-imx:armhf
installed.

live well,
  vagrant