Re: armv8 does not respect personality ADDR_LIMIT_3GB

On Tue, Oct 05, 2021 at 03:23:53PM -0400, Camm Maguire wrote:
> Fair enough, but *Debian* ships a given compiled kernel fixing this
> parameter, no?  That is the target for the distribution and
> apps/packages.

Most x86 users use our kernel, but not on arm.

On x86 nearly all hardware support is upstream, and the Debian kernel
works fine with most hardware.

On arm it is an exception to have complete support for a device in
the upstream kernel.
The single-board computer or reference platform you buy comes with a
vendor kernel that is often > 100k LOC away from the upstream kernel.
There are special cases where the Debian kernel works fine on arm,
but the typical Debian user on real hardware does not have the option
to use our kernel.

There is even an external project Armbian[1] that is combining Debian
with kernels for over 100 boards.

> Users compiling their own kernel can expect incompatibilities.

Using own kernels is supposed to work.

Userspace code expecting one specific address space size is something
I'd consider a bug.

I cannot judge whether this is fixable with reasonable effort in your
package, or whether it's a bug that has to stay unfixed.

> Take care,

cu
Adrian

[1] https://www.armbian.com/