Re: Debian is supported on many arm platforms

On 10.09.21 21:40, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2021-09-10, LinAdmin wrote:
>> The unnamed decision makers of Debian some unknown time ago
>> decided that Pi and *Pine* stuff won't be supported by Debian.
> This is the second time you've stated this, without really adding
> meaningful content to the conversation, and people have presented
> evidence to the contrary...
>
> If you don't want to help, that's fine, but please at least refrain from
> making repetative, vague statements of questionable accuracy.
>
> Debian Developers and many other contributors to Debian are in fact
> supporting these and many other platforms on Debian... They have done so
> by submitting patches, bug reports, fixes, etc. It would be difficult to
> create a comprehensive list of all of them. Check the changelogs for the
> linux kernel, u-boot, debian-installer, raspi-firmware... there are lots
> of people making decisions to support these platforms in those and even
> other packages.
>
> Specifically...
>
> There are at least five pine64.org platforms listed at:
>
>   https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/arm64/daily/netboot/SD-card-images/
>
> I believe the same set of images is supported in the Debian bullseye
> release. At some point they worked (I personally tested each of them
> before adding support), if they don't currently work, please file bug
> reports and ideally patches if you can.
>

> While the Raspberry Pi can't fully be supported in Debian "main" due to
> the Debian Social Contract and the lack of compatible licenses:
>
>   https://www.debian.org/social_contract
>
> There is support for the non-free firmware in "non-free" since 2019:
>
>   https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/raspi-firmware
>
> More recently, you can get a UEFI implementation for pi3 and pi4:
>
>   https://github.com/pftf
>
> With a UEFI implementation, you can boot the standard debian-installer
> .iso images for arm64 platforms:
>
>   https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/arm64/iso-cd/
>   or
>   https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/arm64/iso-dvd/
>
> And there are "unofficial" images made to be written directly to boot
> media produced by Debian Developers available at:
>
>   https://raspi.debian.net
>

> Somewhat of an aside, I feel inclined at this point to bring up the
> Debian Community Guidelines:
>
>   https://people.debian.org/~enrico/dcg/
>
> I find it has some valuable thoughts that help improve my contributions
> to Debian.
>

> live well,
>   vagrant

So after my posting of 09-20-21 you kept silence ;)
Still wondering why precisely you brought up Debian
Community Guidelines?

And btw, not only me feels that
"Unfortunately, the Linux desktop community is very toxic.
Wars between fans of desktop environments (DEs),
distributions, package managers, package formats, etc.,
threats, personal attacks, etc. are very common in public
chat rooms and forums."
(Exctract from
https://theevilskeleton.gitlab.io/2021/04/06/why-the-linux-desktop-has-not-yet-been-adopted-by-the-masses.html
<https://theevilskeleton.gitlab.io/2021/04/06/why-the-linux-desktop-has-not-yet-been-adopted-by-the-masses.html>)