Re: Debian on Pine64 H64B?

On September 20, 2021 1:03:39 PM UTC, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 9:19 AM LinAdmin wrote:
>
>> What I would like to see is that the official arm kernels
>automagically built by Debian could run unchanged on RaPi 32 & 64 bit.
>
>The RPi 4 is 64-bit, is there a reason for running a 32-bit Linux
>kernel?

yes: significantly reduced executable size, significantly reduced memory footprint, resulting in better L1/L2 cache usage with consequent power reduction.

the power consumption of the Cortex A53 compared to the Cortex A7 jumped TEN PERCENT and that is down to 64 bit executables.  to compensate, ARM now recommends 50% larger L1 caches, which automatically come with an irrediemable power consumption penalty even when running 32 bit binaries.

whilst everyone is rushing headlong into 64 bit in desktop and server land, the abandonment is extremely alarming for the embedded world where power and resources really matter, and can make the difference between a failed and a successful product.

l.