Re: Debian on Pine64 H64B?

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 11:19 PM Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@debian.org> wrote:
> > OK, but nslookup raspi.debian.net and whois 208.97.148.173 shows
> > raspi.debian.net is hosted at NightmareHost, which probably explains
> > the very long delays in seeing the site sometimes. I respect
> > Gunnar's support for raspi's, but the choice of host could be much
> > better, IMO.
>
> Actually, I have been a DreamHost client for >20 years, and am quite
> happy with them. They provide me more than enough bandwidth and
> storage for basically every need I have come across for a very
> agreeable price. That's the reason I hosted my images there.
>
> But I understand you might have better preferences. Please provide me
> the details for a web space you will sponsor and keep for several
> years, and I will move raspi.debian.net there.

To wander a bit off-topic, DreamHost charges 10.00 USD per month for a
VPS/virtual server. You may be able to do better, if needed.

We use IONOS for VPS. IONOS starts as low as 2.00 USD per month. We
get root access, and we can install whatever software we like. We
needed root to run the latest wiki software on top of Ubuntu's LAMP
stack.

Due to wiki software and MySQL, we had to bump to the 5.00 USD per
month plan for 2 GB of RAM. The OOM killer was whacking the MySQL
process and corrupting the wiki database.

I'm not sure how IONOS compares to DreamHost for network bandwidth,
however. We have not (yet?) encountered a problem with throttling.

Jeff