Re: Debian on Pine64 H64B?

Gene Heskett dijo [Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 08:07:56AM -0400]:
> > On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 09:50:24AM +0200, LinAdmin wrote:
> > > I have some doubts that debian.net has the same ownership
> > > than official debian.org?
> >
> > RPi images from raspi.debian.net are GPG-signed by Gunnar Wolf's key
> > (who is Debian Developer), that's good enough for me.
> >
> > Reco
>
> But will they run my lathe? If they cannot do it safely, with IRQ latency
> response well under 50 microseconds they are of sub-zero interest to me.

They are not designed to suit you. I guess you want to build your own
kernels with the RT_PREEMPT enabled, and that's not something you will
get with any of the mainstream Linux distributions. Also, the
Raspberry is not the right platform for using RT (I'd suggest you look
at the Beaglebone, as its hardware with separate microcontrollers is
better suited at real-time tasks - it has less computing power, but is
better suited for RT tasks -- you will find
https://beagleboard.org/static/presentations/MakerFaireNY20140920_UsingBeagleBoneRealTimeMicrocontrollers.pdf
interesting).

Our images' goal is to provide something as close as possible to a
base, just-installed Debian image, following the RPi culture of having
installed images. You can build from there.

Of course, if you want to do a shipping in the hundreds, thousands or
further numbers of units, you won't want to use the images we generate
-- but you might find the vmdb2 scripts we have as a worthy starting
point for you to customize and build your own images. FWIW, I have a
script set for the ~10 Raspberries we use at work for driving displays
with our activities; I only use our "raw" images for testing them.