Re: Debian on Pine64 H64B?

On Fri, Sep 03, 2021 at 08:30:52PM +0000, oregano+debian@disroot.org wrote:
> At $45 with 3GB RAM, optional eMMC (35 for 64 GB), WiFi, etc., it seems
interesting, but why is there almost zero coverage on Debian sites?

Maybe we haven't got the hardware: maybe we haven't seen it to test? [See
also later replies in this thread].

> The Debian testing installer seemed to work, but initial boot didn't, or
> gave a blank HDMI display. At this point I don't recall spending any time
> trying to ssh onto it remotely, or examine the sdcard afterwards.
> What is the best way to get useful info and report it?

SSH in might have been useful. The most useful thing would be to report a bug
against the "installation-reports" package using reportbug, if feasible.

> ("Offtopic" but FYI) Dietpi worked fine.
>
> These instructions took a long time, but resulted in a (more or less)
> working Debian system (on SD card).
> https://github.com/as365n4/Debian_on_Pine64_H64B
> Could someone point me to a better/cheaper/faster recipe?

Derivatives definitely do things differently and may be more prepared to
use vendor kernels / U-boot or whatever. Because of this, we may not be
able to advise directly.

> Why isn't this SBC listed here

> https://wiki.debian.org/CheapServerBoxHardware

> or here

> https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Hardware ?

Maybe because the wiki is not always up to date / because the FreedomBox
folk haven't seen one to try?

> Thanks for any answers or suggestions!

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater