Re: hardware encryption,Re: hardware encryption

On vrijdag 4 juni 2021 14:05:28 CEST Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Yeah, kernel crypto is not well documented (in my opinion).

It's a complicated subject with various nuances and if you're not "in the
know", like I am, it's very hard to f.e. qualify/quantify whether having "ARM
CE" is just nice marketing or it is actually substantial.
It could be that the rock64 achieves '6x', but without knowing/understanding
the baseline, that's mostly still meaningless.
F.e. I had expected a greater difference with RPi4 bc it's Broadcom, but if the
base is so much lower, then what I get is still 'good' (but relatively).

> > So there's a reasonable chance I indeed do have HW accelerated crypto,
> > but it doesn't seem to be near '10x' speed improvements.
>
> Yeah, you won't see that kind of speedup across all agorithms.
>
> On Aarch64, you will see the following speedups (give or take) over a
> quality C implementation:
>
> * AES - 6x
> * SHA1 - 3.5x
> * SHA2 - 9.5x
> * PMULL - 12x

Good to know, thanks.

> > Thermal issues may also play a role. I noticed that if I did a test
> > after letting the device idle for a while, so it can cool off (?), did
> > result in higher scores.
>
> You should probably use an active cooling solution, like a fan.

I asked around (on irc:Pine64:/#rock64) and there was one person that used
active cooling, but that was custom made, which is beyond my skill set.
There is an aluminum case available (in Pine64's store) whereby the whole case
is practically a heat sink and that seems to work well, so I'll go for that.

> move the CPU from standby mode to performance mode.

That's still a research area for me to see if and if yes, what could/needs to
be done to keep the device from crashing (due to thermals), while also/still
getting the most out of the device.
Could take quite a while though. If needed would probably be part of a
dedicated 'rock64' thread.

Cheers,
  Diederik