Re: More progress to report [Re: Debian Bullseye on Raspberry Pi 4 4GB?]

On Wednesday 03 March 2021 06:02:31 Alan Corey wrote:

> I remember when 16 bit computers ran faster than 32.  The data is half
> the size.  But eventually the advantages of the wider bus win out.
> Like memory was measured in K, some chips wouldn't handle more than
> 640k of RAM without weird schemes.  My first computer had 64k.

My first computer had 256 bytes, Alan. An RCA Cosmac Super Elf, with an
1802 brain. I added another 4k of static ram, $400 for the kit I built
that plugged into an s100 bus I also had to build, then programmed it to
do a rather labor intensive and picture quality reducing job of
preparing a u-matic tape with a commercial on it, to work with an
automatic station break sequencer they had at KRCR, and getting rid of
the pix blurring extra copy step. To me it was a learning experience in
1979. In 1995 I took my then new wife of 6 years back to the left coast
to meet one of my last surviving aunts and to see some of the country
I'd lived in which took me within long distance range of calling that
station.  Much to my surprise, it was so handy that 16 years later they
were still using it many times a day. As a retired Chief Engineer of
another medium market tv station, equipment in a tv station control room
has an average lifetime of 2 to 5 years. To have something I designed
and built still in daily use 16 years later was quite a surprise.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis