Re: WiFi on RPi

March 1, 2021 2:58 AM, "Ryutaroh Matsumoto" <ryutaroh@ict.e.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
>> Does anyone have wifi running on an RPi400 with Debian 64 Buster or
>> Bullseye?
>
> I'm using RPi4B 8GB model, which seems similar to RPi400.
> Without "module_blacklist=vc4" in the kernel command line
> (i.e. "cmdline.txt"), WiFi on my RPi4B does not work.
>
> Best regards, Ryutaroh

I got wifi working on RPi4B 4GB, and RPi Zero W with Buster, with only the following. Using a couple months older version of:

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse

It was Command line section, now is Using_ifupdown section:

To get interface name (wlan0):
# ip a

To bring up interface:
# ip link set wlan0 up

To scan for networks (not necessary at home):
# iwlist scan

Edit /etc/network/interfaces.d/wlan0
Uncomment lines and change to my wifi SSID and password.

To connect (have some patience):
# ifup wlan0

To verify IP address:
# ip a

It's probably better, more secure, to use WPA-PSK so the password is encrypted, but the above was simpler and worked.