Re: Reducing apt's memory footprint (on small boxes)

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 9:22 PM Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 2:53 PM Paul Wise wrote:
>
> > I think that this could be useful to a subset of Debian users,
> > possibly including embedded hardware and low-RAM cloud/VPS users.
>
> This could also be useful to bandwidth-constrained environments, the
> apt package indices are really quite large these days.

+1.

And devices with limited storage. Two days ago I had to install Debian
10 on a fresh SDcard and swap-in the card on an IoT gadget. The dist
upgrade used too much space and the existing SDcard ran out of space
when unpacking/installing a Perl package.

Jeff