Re: Reducing apt's memory footprint (on small boxes)

On 2021-02-14 14:42, Christoph Biedl wrote:
> And so I started a small project:
>
> * Take the list of binary packages that are actually installed, less
>   than 500 in my case.
> * Have copies of `dists/stretch/main/binary-{all,armel}/Packages`.
> * Drop all stanzas that are *not* in the above list.
> * gzip, xz. Create a Release file and sign it.
> * Place the file structure in an appropriate webroot.
> * Have a rewrite rule, so /pool/(.*) is redirected to the next Debian
>   mirror.

That's an interesting approach!

In $COMPANY we are doing the more classical stuff for our armel
and armhf systems with 128 MB RAM:

Define a list of wanted and a list of unwanted packages, run
germinate and create an independent archive using reprepro. That
happens on normal amd64 machines. Using germinate helps a lot.

Cheers