Re: Status of Debian on QNAP

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020, Adrian Bunk wrote:

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 02:20:12PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
The main question for what would happen with the armel port
I think is what kernel to ship.

The main question is whether anyone in addition to me will sign up
as armel porter for bullseye.

i have a nas with a marvell processor that still serves me well
Linux nsa320 5.4.50-kirkwood-tld-1 #1 PREEMPT Wed Jul 8 17:12:00 CDT 2020 armv5tel

other than open'n the door for folks what is involved in be'n a porter

When the marvell kernel gets
retired, the only kernel package left would be the raspberrypi
variant, and that is a bit silly given that it has its own raspbian
armhf port that is much more suitable for that specific
hardware.
Anyone using the armel
port on actual ARMv5 hardware likely wants to build their
own kernel anyway.

The Raspberry Pi zero can be a good reference platform for embedded
devices using the armel port.

         Arnd

cu
Adrian