Re: Issues installing libc6:arm64 on amd64

On Friday 20 November 2020 09:44:04 Witold Baryluk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure if this is the best mailing list, but couldn't find
> anything fitting better.
>

> I am using Debian testing on amd64.
>
> I am interested in testing qemu-user-aarch64 on my amd64 machine, so
> instead of setting up chroots, I decided to just try to use multi-arch
> and install some libraries and linkers, and then see from there.
>
> Unfortunately, it didn't work well for arm64.

Whatever gave you the idea that arm (aarch64) software, any version,
compiled for arm would run on amd64 hardware? Different cpu's and
architectures at the machine code level and they don't speak a
compatible dialect of native language. Compilers are generally smart
emough to make the src code work on either platform, but the binaries
output will be incompatible. At best it will crash.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis