Re: X11 modul for pinebook?

Hi Vagrant,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 12:49:34PM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:

> The pinebook is pretty much my primary machine (using it right now to
> type this), and X is working fine here...

Cool!

> It's not fancy accelerated
> graphics, but it does work. I mostly have been using newer kernels from
> buster-backports/sid/experimental, but the buster generation of kernels
> worked fine for me last I tried.

I think its just my problem.  I once had this fancy installer
   pine64-installer-2.0.0-beta.2-linux-x64.AppImage
and installed some
   cdn.pine64.uk_q4os-pinebook-1806.zip
first on the miniSD card and than flashed emmc with this.  I after this
I replaced all apt sources by deb.debian.org upgraded and ist worked with
stretch for some time.  I *never* fiddled around with the kernel.  Now
I simply did what I ever do to upgrade from one Debian release to the
other - just adapt sources.list and upgrade.

Unfortunately this left me with

   $ uname -a
   Linux pinebook 3.10.105-bsp-1.2-ayufan-118 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Oct 15 21:40:57 UTC 2017 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I think I should change this in any case.

> Maybe you have some customization in /etc/X11/xorg.conf* that's telling
> it to use fbturbo instead of fbdev?

After renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-pine64-fbturbo.conf to
40-pine64-fbturbo.conf.disabled X is running again. :-)

> What version of u-boot are you running?

I have no u-boot running.  Which package would you advise?
Is there any doc how to run with a plain Debian kernel?  I'd love
to get rid of that old kernel and have a pretty clean and up to
date Debian system.

> Again, it's been a while since I
> tested the version in buster,

Well, I'm running testing on my work-horse laptop.  But the pinebook
would be dedicated to some videoconferencing or videoplaying for the
kids.  I also would run some pbuilder based builds in case of arm64
build issues.  I do not want to upgrade frequently since the box should
be low maintenance.  Thus I assumed stable would be a sensible choice
(except if you tell me that more up to date software makes perfectly
sense).

> but I've been using all the versions
> uploaded since. Mainline (and Debian packaged) u-boot properly
> configures the framebuffer for quite some releases...

I'd love if you would guide me patiently to some more up to date
clean Debian system. ;-)

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--