Re: Debain on a Buffalo TeraStation Live (HS-DHTGL/R5)

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 1:15 PM Gilles Risch <gilles.risch@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> During these days of isolation I reanimated my old TeraStation Live
> (HS-DHTGL/R5), equipped it with some new disks and installed the latest
> official firmware (2.14). This firmware is based on a quiet old Linux
> kernel:
>   #uname -a
>   Linux TS-LIVE 2.6.16.16-arm1 #9 Fri Aug 31 13:42:57 JST 2007 armv5tejl
> unknown
>
> So I decided to look for something newer. Is it possible to install and
> run a recent version of Debian on this Marvell Orion based NAS?

There is still minimal kernel support for this platform in the old board
files (not in the .dts format), and the armel kernel enables support, but
as far as I can tell, it only has 128MB of RAM, and the official minimum
for a Debian installation is now 256MB, so this may be a rough ride.

Using OpenWRT instead of Debian would better fit into the RAM, but
they have removed support for all Marvell Orion5x based platforms
a few months ago, making that also a bit hard, though depending on
how motivated you are, you could add back OpenWRT support by
creating a dts file for their "Kirkwood" port.

       Arnd