Re: Raspberry Pi

On Sunday 01 March 2020 05:31:04 Pete Batard wrote:

> On 2020.03.01 08:23, Keith Bainbridge wrote:

> >> many suggest 32bit for the Pi3 incl. raspbian.
>
> Debian 10.3 ARM64 should install and work just fine on the Pi 3,
> including full graphical mode. No need for 32-bit.

Yes, I've done it, works fine, with one glaring exception all the 64 bit
fans refuse to recognize.

When called upon to run machinery that demands microsecond responses in
order to run that machinery smoothly AND accurately, the increased
latency caused by the 64 bits much larger stack frame to be stored, and
pulled back into active service when an interrupt from the machine is
received, slowing the response to the interrupt from 5 microseconds to
50 or more is not tolleratable.  armhf is much faster, and  when doing
software stepping, which when the step timing has jitter in its timed
pulses, very rapidly kills motor torque with increases in the timeing
jitter, with a 50 microsecond jitter killing over 75% of a motors usable
power.

> Please see either:
> https://pete.akeo.ie/2019/07/installing-debian-arm64-on-raspberry-pi.h
>tml or