Re: bt question

bluetoothctl's info feature can be useful to see what states devices
are in even if you're not pairing with them.  Especially devices with
few buttons.

Yes there's a time limit because being discoverable is considered vulnerable.

On 9/26/20, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 26 September 2020 06:48:11 Alan Corey wrote:
>
>> Bring your devices closer together at least until you get them paired.
>>  BT doesn't have great range.  There are covid tracing schemes which
>> figure if you got within BT range you're in danger. 20 feet or so
>> should be OK.  Also heavy WiFi use disrupts it since they're both in
>> the same frequency band.
>>
>> A device may be discoverable only when it's first turned on but there
>> has to be a way.  My ear buds have one button each and the LEDs flash
>> differently: red and blue instead of just red.  It's easiest to start
>> with them all within reach until they're set up.  Playing sound my ear
>> buds aren't 100% reliable 20 feet away.  At one job a receptionist had
>> a BT headset, they worked within that room, not beyond.  A niece had a
>> BT headset for hands-free driving on her cell phone, mostly didn't
>> work outside her car.
>>
>> With my ear buds a long press on the one button powers them on and
>> makes them discoverable for about 1 minute.
>
> I wasn't aware there was a time limit. Anyway, the transmitter the phone
> will need to pair with is about 3 weeks away, so I'll suggest we shelve
> this until that kit arrives.

>> > for the audio you may need the pulse bluetooth module package.
>> >         pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>  - Louis D. Brandeis

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
cluttering up nature.
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach