Re: ipv6 old addresses never deleted

Hi Luca,

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 07:02:21PM +0200, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> I found out that, since the router has RA enabled, the boxes get an ipv6
> globally routable address. The problem is, when the prefix changes
> (unfortunately it's not static, the isp assigns a new one on each PPPoE
> session), the new address is added but the old one is never deleted, e.g.:

unless the ISP configured RA wrong those addresses should time out
automatically after their valid_lft time expires. Having lots of addresses
is pretty normal in IPv6 so I wouldn't worry about it :)

You can see the valid_lft field using `ip address` instead of ifconfit.

> Is there a way to automatically flush the old addresses?

If you insist on removing them you can do

    ip -6 address flush deprecated

which should remove all addresses with "preferred_lft 0" but nonzero
valid_lft which means they can still be used for incoming connections but
won't we used for outgoing ones.

--Daniel