Re: Nvidia Jetson Nano

Phil Endecott wrote:
Does anyone have an Nvidia Jetson Nano?

A follow-up:

I've bought one.  It's quite interesting; 4 GB RAM and
4 A-57 CPUs, and somewhat better-documented and with more
community than some of the other SoCs I've had to deal
with.

Nvidia supply a 16 GB SD card image with Ubuntu 18.04,
overlaid with a load of their own stuff called "JetPack"
and/or "L4T" ("Linux for Tegra").  That is in the form
of .debs that apt knows about.

A "FAQ" is how to run from USB storage rather than
the SD card; U-Boot doesn't know about USB, so the
solution seems to be to have bootloaders, kernel and
initrd on SD.  This used to be complicated because
the "xusb" firmware was missing from the initrd, but
with the current "JetPack" it's only necessary to
add an additional entry to /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
with root on /dev/sda1; if you connect a serial console
U-Boot will present a menu of choices from that file.
I debootstrapped a USB flash drive and it boots, i.e.
Debian running on the Nvidia/Ubuntu kernel.  Ethernet,
USB and the console seem to work.  If all you want is
a headless system this might be sufficient.

I did attempt to boot with the Debian Installer kernel
and initrd from the Nvidia U-Boot, but it seemed to
think the device tree was missing; there was a
comment in the DebianOn Jetson TX1 page saying that
its U-Boot was incompatible with Debian so maybe that
is what I hit.  I've not tried the non-DI Debian
kernel.

I'd like to get OpenGL working and this is what I'm
looking at now.  The dependencies aren't obvious to
me.  I may take the approach of trying to make the
Ubuntu environment more Debian-ish!

Cheers, Phil.