Re: Graphical installer on arm64 (netboot and cdrom)

On 21/04/2020 15:42, Wookey wrote:
One thought - can we just perhaps use /dev/console 'anyway' and
that'll get us the right thing even when tty0 has not been properly
enabled when it should have been? (I've forgotten how all this works
and would need to go read the runes again, and most of my test
platforms are currently not easily accessible...)

As I understand it /dev/console is essentially one of the consoles in /proc/consoles (one marked with C), so the current solution of launching on all consoles in /proc/consoles is better (e.g. wouldn't launch on tty0 on my chromebook since ttyS2 ends up being preferred, /dev/console would only be the latter while /proc/consoles has both).

I think we can just launch debian-installer on /dev/tty0 regardless of it being in /proc/consoles (in addition to those in /proc/consoles), since the framebuffer and the virtual terminal parts work just fine (sending Ctrl+Alt+F4 switches to the installer log, for example).

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/44156595-0eee-58da-4376-fd25b634d21b@gmail.com/T/

Hmm. I have no idea if you are doing this right either, but it all
sounds plausible. I guess a reports with the s/#elif/#else fix is in
order anyway, and that might prompt a response from someone with
console clue.

I'll hopefully manage to fix it and resend this week, want me to CC: you?