Re: The state of Arm64 on Raspberry Pi (and its Documentation

On 2020-04-16 19:57 +0100, peter green wrote:

> Interestingly andriod seems to use arm64 for the "abi"* and
> aarch64 for the "instruction set"

I was hoping to avoid getting into all this because it's detail almost
no-one needs to care about, but there are indeed separate names for
the instruction set and the ABI and and the execution state and the
microarchitecture and the elf layout, and if I try to type it in here
without swotting up properly I'll get it wrong :-)

Wikipedia is pretty good for a summary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A32#32-bit_architecture
Or for full detail:
http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?noscript=1

> * I am not an andriod expert, but an andiod "abi" seems to be
> roughly equivilent to a Debian architecture.

A debian architecture is essentially defined as an ABI (but also
includes a baseline ISA than can shift over time). So yes that makes
sense.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/