Re: RockPro64 - Boot fails if fstab has volumes on PCIe SSD

Yes, staring at a blank screen while important stuff is happening
sucks.  A serial console might show more, I haven't tried it.  OK, you
did.  If there's a quiet in your kernel command line options get rid
of it, also splash.  The list keeps changing and moving but see
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.10/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.html
 earlyprintk sounds worth trying in there.  Printk is messages from
the kernel.

I don't have an answer but my guess is it's a matter of timing, you're
trying to access something before it's ready because something is
quicker than something else.  In the old days they used to do stuff
like hold the reset line active for N seconds to give everything
chance to boot then release reset.  This isn't so different from
waiting for a hard drive to spin up.  Or drives, worse yet, thinking
of those big cases with 4 5-1/4 SCSI drives in a RAID.  They drew so
much power the controller was programmed to not start them all at
once, so you'd hear drives spinning up for 20-30 seconds.  Without
holding down reset the sequence has to be right.

My SSD sits here in a box while I research things like how to put
multiple OSes on it, it's going into a Pinebook Pro.

--
No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX