Re: [Y2038] Trying Debian/armhf rebootstrap with time64

On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 00:09 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Ben Hutchings:

> > > Ok, makes sense. I suppose it just provides a header with the same
> > > name then.
> >
> > * nfs-utils build-depends on libtirpc-dev, and isn't using the glibc
> > SunRPC headers except for <rpc/netdb.h>.  libtirpc's <rpc/rpcent.h>
> > specifically avoids declaring things that are also declared in glibc's
> > <rpc/netdb.h>.
> >
> > * ntirpc is a different port of the SunRPC code, used by nfs-ganesha.
> >
> > * nis and nfswatch really are using the glibc SunRPC headers.
>
> Which part of NIS?  There's a new upstream for libnsl
> <https://github.com/thkukuk/libnsl> and the NSS module
> <https://github.com/thkukuk/libnss_nis>;.  (There is a nisplus module
> as well.)

This is Debian's "nis" source package, which is a bundle of yp-tools,
ypserv, and ypbind-mt from the same upstream author.  It's unmaintained
and has lots of bug reports in Debian.

> All these use libtirpc and support IPv6 in addition to IPv4.  As far
> as I know, it is possible to build a full NIS stack without relying on
> any of the legacy glibc code.
>
> (I don't know about nfswatch.)

The upstream for that is <https://sourceforge.net/projects/nfswatch/>.
The current Fedora package is patched to use libtirpc.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Software Developer                         Codethink Ltd
https://www.codethink.co.uk/                 Dale House, 35 Dale Street