Re: arm64-net-install buster 10.2

On Monday 03 February 2020 14:21:37 Pete Batard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2020.02.03 15:53, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 10:41:17AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Written to a 64GB card with dd, makes zero attempt to boot on rp4b.
> >>
> >> Put presently running raspbian buster 10.2 card back in, boots up
> >> normal.
> >>
> >> Suggestions?
> >
> > According to https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi there is no support
> > for the Pi4 in Debian's kernel yet (after all it has to be supported
> > upstream before Debian will support it).  Raspbian has no issues
> > with using a patched kernel with stuff that isn't supported upstream
> > yet as long as it makes Pi models work with it.
>
> Well, if you can live without SD support and with ACPI rather than
> Device Tree, then please be aware that I have just sent a patch that
> should enable netinst of *vanilla* Debian ARM64 on a Raspberry Pi 4 in
> ACPI mode, when using the EDK2 UEFI firmware from mainline
> edk2-platforms (See [1]).
>
> The patch can be found at [2] and I am really hoping this can be
> fast-tracked for inclusion into 10.3, so that native netinst on the Pi
> 4 becomes about as easy as an x86 PC install.
>
> Obviously, there are a few caveats:
> - Because the RPi4's weird DMA and other matters, DT boot from UEFI is
> currently NO_GO, so only ACPI will work. Which means that, until we
> also sort an ACPI driver support for SDHC (which looks like this will
> require some work, as it's not as easy as adding a few ACPI binding to
> sdhc-iproc as we did for bcmgenet), you can forget about SD card
> support. Then again, USB 3.0 mass storage support seems to work
> brilliantly, and is much faster than SD anyway, so you're better off
> running Debian from USB anyway...
> - Also because of DMA, you will be limited to 3 GB RAM if you use the
> 4 GB model. Of course, we're working on removing that limit.
> - The relevant ACPI patches for networking are currently being
> integrated into EDK2, so the firmware binaries I pointed to in [1]
> don't have them yet (which means that, even if you apply the patch
> from [2] and rebuild your own kernel, networking won't work until you
> get a UEFI firmware with the relevant patches applied. But this should
> become a moot point soon hopefully).
> - Of course, since this is new development, the network stack may not
> be entirely stable at this stage. Personally, I've been observing some
> packet losses, that other people don't seem to observe, though those
> losses don't seem to prevent the system from downloading updates and
> stuff.
>
> Still, if you plan to install vanilla Debian on the Pi 4 through
> net-install, and provided that the proposed patch gets applied, the
> next ARM64 vanilla ISOs should allow you do just that...
>
> Regards,
>
> /Pete

At 10.0 no UEFI in site, network worked fine once I convinced it it was a
hostname and hosts based lookup, although i do seem to recall blowing
away dchpdc5 or something, what ever it was that insisted my route came
from agahi.  Once that was done it did everything I asked it to  do for
about a month, with zero hiccups until I had to get my heart rebuilt (
new aortic valve and a bunch of stents, and the lathe running as I had to
make something that was bigger than my 7x12 could handle well.

> [1] https://github.com/pftf/RPi4
> [2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=950578

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)