Re: Armbian

On 2020-02-03, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 5:51 PM Phil Endecott wrote:
>
>> What do you know about Armbian?  What do you think?
>
> Only what I see on their site and derivatives census page:
>
> https://www.armbian.com/
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Armbian
>
> I think they are a useful source of workarounds for devices that are
> not yet supported in the mainline versions of bootloaders, the Linux
> kernel or in Debian itself.

Nicely put!

> Image-based installation methods are currently very hacky. After
> installing packages, you will have system-specific files created (like
> /etc/machine-id or OpenSSH private keys). The Debian live/cloud images
> have to workaround that by deleting the files after the install is
> created. Probably that set of deletions needs to be synced between
> Debian live/cloud and any future ARM images (not sure if they are
> synced yet). The correct way to do this would be for packages to have
> a "generically installed" state in dpkg/apt, which would prevent them
> from creating system-specific files. More info about this is in the
> linked discussions:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleInstalls
> https://wiki.debian.org/SystemBuildTools#Discussions

I have been meaning to explore making live images for arm devices using
the concatenateable images method used by debian-installer. Though, that
method has limitations too, as some devices load files off of a
partition, some off of raw device offsets, some a combination of those
methods. Some require MBR partition tables, some require GPT... it's a
big world out there. The great thing about standards, is...

It's also possible to have bootloader on one media that is device
specific, which doesn't take much space, and on a larger media image a
common rootfs, maybe also with EFI bootable grub-efi on it or something.
The U-boot support for EFI is coming along quite well.

> The other problem with image-based installation methods is that there
> are a ridiculous number of devices, so you have to either limit your
> device support, produce a prohibitively large amount of
> device-specific images, or figure out how to create one image that
> works on all devices (which won't be possible due to bootloader
> diversity on ARM), or a compromise of a limited number of images that
> each work on a range of devices.

A great talk from last year's fosdem addressing this issue with some
success:

  https://archive.fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/one_image_to_rule_them_all/

live well,
  vagrant