Re: loss of synaptic due to wayland

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 2:34 PM Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 July 2019 03:19:04 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 2:11 AM Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > doesn't exist, this stuff is tar.gz's straight from kernel.org
> >
> >  doesn't matter: pick the nearest package, that's why i said
> > "similar".  if that's 4.1something.something it will [should] not
> > matter.  if the build dependencies are that drastically different from
> > kernel to kernel it's an alarm bell.
> >
> > l.
> you are missing the point Luke.

no, i'm not: you're misunderstanding.  allow me to emphasis it by
spelling it out, explicitly.

step 1: use apt-get build-dep
linux-image-4.whatever-is-the-largest-highest-available-debian-image
step 2: COMPILE THE 5.0 UPSTREAM SOURCE CODE.

step 1 installs the prerequisite build dependencies
step 2 gets you what you want.

note that i did ****NOT**** say:

step 1: use apt-get build-dep linux-image-4.whatever
step 2: use apt-get source {the-exact-same-package-name}

now. if you're missing some of the drivers (as you have in the past),
it means that you've not correctly selected the exact same Kconfig
options that would get you the loadable dynamic modules that support
that hardware.

therefore, the easiest way to correct that: you need to track down
what the debian config is which _does_ enable the required hardware.
i haven't done that in a while, so can't recall off the top of my head
the exact process: i'd suggest starting with "apt-get-source
linux-image-4.whatever-is-greatest-that-you-can-find".

again, to reiterate, that is NOT for the purposes or to imply IN ANY
WAY that you should stop trying to do what you are doing and go with
the 4.whatever kernel.  you should use the debian 4.whatever Kconfig
AS THE BASIS for what you are trying to do [with the 5.0-or-whatever
kernel].

you may find that some Kconfig options are missing, or their names
changed: this is just how it goes with every revision of the linux
kernel.  you'll have to apply some experimentation and thought.

l.