Re: hidden help in make

Yeah, I use a 1 TB spinning drive by USB.  In Gimp with 6000x4000
images it's pretty slow but I just live with it, do less intermediate
saves.  I haven't looked at their source but I think mc calls unzip,
seems like it's a dependency.  Haven't messed with zips that big in a
few months.

I'm almost ready to put in a feature request to have mc work with adb
(for Android) in shell mode so you can plug in a phone and mc around.
Seems like it could be a filesystem plugin.  You can do adb shell and
you're looking into the phone but you spent a lot of time doing cd
this and that and working blind.  You can do adb push and pull for
file transfers.

On 6/21/19, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Friday 21 June 2019 20:23:17 Alan Corey wrote:
>
>> unzip is much faster than mc on big files.  mc is just convenient for
>> small stuff.
>>   unzip file
>> or see the man page
>
> I have wondered about that, but in this case the BIG  bottleneck is the
> pinhole sized channel thru usb2 to that drive..  The network is all
> gigabit stuff, and mc can keep it fairly busy.

>> > Seems I found that, but without any further real progress, it needs
>> > a copy of mkimage which is part of raspberrypi-tools according to
>> > google, get it from github, its not in the repos by any recognizable
>> > name. Found the zip, 300+ megabytes, and now mc has cracked the zip
>> > and it is copying 907 megabytes worth of stuff to the 120GB ssd on
>> > the pi as build scratchpad over my local network, with an estimated
>> > completion time of about 13.5 HOURS, but thats growing by nominally
>> > 30 secs everytime mc updates its progress.  Then I expect I have to
>> > process it with dpkg-buildpackage, probably at least another DAY to
>> > generate and install the deb.
>> >
>> > All because I need whats likely less than a megabyte of executable
>> > code thats in there somewhere. Seems to me that binary ought to be
>> > included in build-essential...  Sigh.....
>> >
>> > Several hours Later, 40% copied, 4 hrs 31 minutes to go. Dinner is
>> > in the oven and my last load of laundry is in the washer.

> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>  - Louis D. Brandeis

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
cluttering up nature.
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach