Re: making debs for u-boot kernels

On Tuesday 30 July 2019 05:30:35 Reco wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 05:21:29AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > journalctl(1). Try it some day.
> >
> > Unforch Reco, you are ignoring my question. If its not booting,
>
> As a long-time debian-user regular I learned to to trust this
> particular term - "not booting".
> For me, "not booting" is the inability to execute OS kernel, or the
> kernel panic at boot.
> Here, it usually means "I cannot see LightDM/GDM".
>
> > what good is it to try and run journalctl when the screen is blank
> > and there is no response to anything typed on the keyboard?
>
> Make it give you a response. Two magic parameters at kernel's
> commandline usually do it for me - "debug init=/bin/bash".
> Note that in this particular case it's "dmesg", not "journalctl".
>
> > That still doesn't answer what I thought was a simple question. It
> > never did boot so I have that card in my reader now.
> >
> > That simple question is:
> >
> > What log file do you want to see?
>
> Assuming Debian defaults - /var/log/kern.log,

is empty. kern.log.1 is over 200k, and the list won't accept that.

> /var/log/messages,

is dated, has one single 140 char line saying it had been hup'd

> /var/log/daemon.log.

is 32k of a repeating line with the instance and pid being incremented,
ul 27 00:50:01 picnc dbus-daemon[1651]: [system] Activating service
name='org.freedesktop.systemd1' requested by ':1.731' (uid=0 pid=1076
comm="/usr/sbin/CRON ") (using servicehelper)
Jul 27 00:55:01 picnc dbus-daemon[1651]: [system] Activating service
name='org.freedesktop.systemd1' requested by ':1.733' (uid=0 pid=1465
comm="/usr/sbin/CRON ") (using servicehelper)

that is the last 2 lines.  Its been powered since the 26th non-stop until
about an hour ago. Its now the 30th. I'll probably overwrite the card
and re-install from the net when I'm next awake. Unless you want those
logs sent as a PM.

> Reco

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)