Re: making debs for u-boot kernels

On Saturday 27 July 2019 22:24:30 Reco wrote:

> /sbin/sysctl -w kernel.dmesg_restrict=0
Well, I did that, and ran dmesg once as root.  Self destructed 15 minutes
later as I couldn't get it to do anything from an ssh login as me.  And
its an hour later and I still haven't been able to reboot, last time it
fscked the boot partition, then waited 2 to 3 minutes for each thing it
wanted to start, and half an hour later I was still waiting on MTD. I
hit the power switch.

I'll power it up tomorrow after I get the rest of my chores done.

If it wants to boot like a .5 mhz clock, so be it.  It was educational,
showing me what a waste of time doing it your way is. At least with
raspian, I have the tools at hand for apt to install, to do something.

There's one thing you folks pushing arm64 on all the pi's rather
conveniently forget. A 64 bit context switch, unless using isolcpus so
the time critical stuff has its own core, takes up to 4 times longer
that it does with 32  bit armhf.  In that regard, its no different from
an intel or amd64.  If you want it fast, run in 32 bit modes, and
usually the latency battle is rather handily won by the intel stuffs.
Amd is getting better, but this is one party they arrived at late.

We'll see what happens when its powered up tomorrow.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis