Re: loss of synaptic due to wayland

On Wednesday 10 July 2019 19:16:27 Robert Nelson wrote:
This is more than likely TL;DR, but you did suggest
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 3:50 PM Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > The pi is running 4.19.50-v7+ right now, so this should be the
> > correct translation:
> > pi@picnc:/media/pi/workpi120/buildbot/linux-5.1.14 $ sudo apt-get
> > build-dep linux-image-4.19.50-v7+
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > E: Unable to find a source package for linux-image-4.19.50-v7+
> >
> > For every step fwd, 2 back...
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> This is a "Raspbian" problem, not a "debian" problem..
>
> I bet if you contact Raspbian developers directly you wouldn't be
> spinning your wheels as much..
>
> https://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums

I'm treated as an outsider. Post's that don't follow the approved recipe
are ignored. You run the supplied code even it it doesn't work. I've
explicitly asked on at least 5 occasions how to do something that's
involved with u-boot, got a link once to some code written in 2001 and
never updated since, that hadn't a single thing to do with u-boot. Zero
response the other 4 times.

Whats really disgusting is that I have watched apt update the pi kernel 2
times now, but it does not leave the deb that did it
in /var/cache/apt/archives. So I've never had an opportunity to take one
of those deb's apart to see if I could figure out how they take a std
kernel build apart and reassemble it into something that works for a
u-boot system. The kernel has a script directory that looks interesting:

 pi@picnc:/media/pi/workpi120/buildbot/linux-5.1.14 $ ls scripts
adjust_autoksyms.sh     cleanpatch                    extract_xc3028.pl
headers_install.sh    Makefile.gcc-plugins  namespace.pl
spdxcheck.py
asn1_compiler           coccicheck                    faddr2line
headers.sh            Makefile.headersinst  objdiff
spdxcheck-test.sh
asn1_compiler.c         coccinelle                    file-size.sh
insert-sys-cert.c     Makefile.host         package
spelling.txt
atomic                  config                        find-unused-docs.sh
kallsyms              Makefile.kasan        parse-maintainers.pl
sphinx-pre-install
basic                   conmakehash                   gcc-goto.sh
kallsyms.c            Makefile.kcov         patch-kernel
split-man.pl
bin2c                   conmakehash.c                 gcc-ld
Kbuild.include        Makefile.lib          pnmtologo
stackdelta
bin2c.c                 const_structs.checkpatch      gcc-plugins
kconfig               Makefile.modbuiltin   pnmtologo.c
stackusage
bloat-o-meter           decodecode                    gcc-plugin.sh
Kconfig.include       Makefile.modinst      profile2linkerlist.pl
subarch.include
bootgraph.pl            decode_stacktrace.sh          gcc-version.sh
kernel-doc            Makefile.modpost      prune-kernel
tags.sh
bpf_helpers_doc.py      depmod.sh
gcc-x86_32-has-stack-protector.sh  ksymoops
Makefile.modsign      recordmcount           tracing
cc-can-link.sh          diffconfig
gcc-x86_64-has-stack-protector.sh  ld-version.sh         Makefile.ubsan
recordmcount.c         unifdef.c
check_extable.sh        documentation-file-ref-check  gdb
leaking_addresses.pl  makelst               recordmcount.h
ver_linux
checkincludes.pl        dtc
gen_compile_commands.py            Lindent               markup_oops.pl
recordmcount.pl        xen-hypercalls.sh
checkkconfigsymbols.py  export_report.pl              gen_ksymdeps.sh
link-vmlinux.sh       mkcompile_h           selinux
xz_wrap.sh
checkpatch.pl           extract-cert                  genksyms
Makefile              mkmakefile            setlocalversion
checkstack.pl           extract-cert.c                get_dvb_firmware
Makefile.asm-generic  mksysmap              show_delta
checksyscalls.sh        extract-ikconfig              get_maintainer.pl
Makefile.build        mkuboot.sh            sign-file.c
checkversion.pl         extract-module-sig.pl         gfp-translate
Makefile.clean        mod                   sortextable
clang-version.sh        extract-sys-certs.pl          headerdep.pl
Makefile.dtbinst      module-common.lds     sortextable.c
cleanfile               extract-vmlinux               headers_check.pl
Makefile.extrawarn    modules.order         sortextable.h

mkuboot.sh for instance, but it needs at least 10 arguments:
pi@picnc:/media/pi/workpi120/buildbot/linux-5.1.14 $ sudo bash -x
scripts/mkuboot.sh

++ type -path mkimage
+ MKIMAGE=/usr/bin/mkimage
+ '[' -z /usr/bin/mkimage ']'
+ /usr/bin/mkimage
Error: Missing output filename
Usage: /usr/bin/mkimage -l image
          -l ==> list image header information
       /usr/bin/mkimage [-x] -A arch -O os -T type -C comp -a addr -e
ep -n name -d data_file[:data_file...] image
          -A ==> set architecture to 'arch'
          -O ==> set operating system to 'os'
          -T ==> set image type to 'type'
          -C ==> set compression type 'comp'
          -a ==> set load address to 'addr' (hex)
          -e ==> set entry point to 'ep' (hex)
          -n ==> set image name to 'name'
          -d ==> use image data from 'datafile'
          -x ==> set XIP (execute in place)
       /usr/bin/mkimage [-D dtc_options] [-f fit-image.its|-f auto|-F]
[-b <dtb> [-b <dtb>]] [-i <ramdisk.cpio.gz>] fit-image
           <dtb> file is used with -f auto, it may occur multiple times.
          -D => set all options for device tree compiler
          -f => input filename for FIT source
          -i => input filename for ramdisk file
Signing / verified boot not supported (CONFIG_FIT_SIGNATURE undefined)
       /usr/bin/mkimage -V ==> print version information and exit
Use -T to see a list of available image types

Oh, and the -T? Doesn't change a thing.

But with no docs, what the hell do you do with it?

Hell, I can't even build the pdfdocs, sphinx has been removed from
buster, so all that info is locked away in the minds of a select group
of raspian developers.  And I think they want it that way.

> Regards,

Regards to you too, Robert Nelson. Take care now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis