Re: loss of synaptic due to wayland

So?  You don't need it that often.  I don't get why you can't start up
X and run Synaptic, then switch to something under Wayland.  There's
also some compatibility thing where you can run an X program in a
window under Wayland, don't remember what it's called.

I just ordered an Odroid N2, instead of a Pi 4.

On 7/9/19, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 July 2019 11:37:17 Alan Corey wrote:
>
>> I thought it was possible to have both X and Wayland installed and
>> just start the one you want to use.  Pretty sure I did that when I was
>> playing with Buster.
>
> I've  no clue what they did, but after the update that tipped the nitrous
> can way high for video speeds, synaptic is running on buster, but only
> on the pi's own screen.
>
>> I can do
>> apt search
>> but then I have apt installed.  There are several package management
>> tools.  What I like Synaptic for besides the obvious is finding and
>> fixing broken packages.  You can get in there and take out what's
>> causing the problem, if it doesn't do it from the menu.  The package
>> tools work differently in that situation.  I seem to get broken
>> packages a lot.  apt isn't apt-get or aptitude or synaptic or wajig or
>> apt-cache or dpkg, but they probably all use the APT library.
>>
>> On 7/9/19, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
>> > (hi gene, hope you don't mind, i'm cc'ing the list back again, i
>> > assume you accidentally didn't hit "reply-to-all?"  or that i did,
>> > if so, whoops...)

>> >  there's a file search "thing" somewhere, for apt... it's a plugin
>> > (i think)... although i suspect you simply have the wrong version of
>> > openssl installed.
>> >
>> >  ok so i do have /usr/include/openssl/bio.h (makes it easier if
>> > someone else has it....) and so i can find it with:
>> >
>> > $ grep bio.h /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list | grep openssl
>> >
>> > and that gives:
>> >
>> > /var/lib/dpkg/info/libssl-dev:amd64.list:/usr/include/openssl/bio.h
>> > /var/lib/dpkg/info/nodejs.list:/usr/include/node/openssl/bio.h
>> >
>> > shriieeeek wtf am i doiiing with nodejs installed, dieee nodejs,
>> > dieeeee sorry about that, adverse reaction to node.js
>> >
>> > ok so you'll need to do "apt-get install libssl-dev" and that
>> > *should* get you the missing openssl/bio.h file.
>> >
> Nope.
>
>> > if you run into any other difficulties with missing packages, try
>> > this:
>> >
>> > "apt-get build-dep linux-image-4.something.something"
>> >
>> > that will install *all* build dependencies for a *debian* kernel
>> > build process... which (warning) may be a little bit more than you
>> > bargained for, you'll have to review what it recommends to install
>> > before proceeding, ok?
>> >
>> > basically when doing a build of a package that's similar (or
>> > identical) to an existing debian one, the trick of installing
>> > *debian's* build dependencies for the same name uuusuuually does the
>> > trick of getting you everything you'll need to build that "vanilla"
>> > upstream {whatever}.
>> >
>> > problems come when debian sets different options from the default,
>> > and you can always inspect the debian/rules file for what they are.

>> >  :)
>> >
>> >  on-list is better (other people benefit too).  these are what i
>> > use:

> [...]

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
cluttering up nature.
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach