Re: trying to build linux kernel deb for linux-rt-devel-4.16.18-rt9

On Sunday 23 June 2019 14:30:15 Robert Nelson wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 12:43 PM Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > but I'm hitting a missing tools problem.
> >
> > make uImage bails out looking for mkimage, which doesn't seem to be
> > in the repos.  I googled for it, and downloaded tool-master.zip, but
> > its apparently cross-compiling stuff to be run on x86. Only two
> > Makefiles in a 907 meg when unpacked .zip from github.  It contains
> > a mkimage directory but no Makefile to build it. Its apparently a
> > python thing as shown here:
> > pi@picnc:/media/pi/workpi1/tools-master/mkimage $ ls -l
> > total 48
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi   157 Jan 12  2018 args-uncompressed.txt
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi   201 Jan 12  2018 boot-uncompressed.txt
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 32768 Jan 12  2018 first32k.bin
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi   822 Jan 12  2018 imagetool-uncompressed.py
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi   343 Jan 12  2018 README
> > pi@picnc:/media/pi/workpi1/tools-master/mkimage $ python
> > imagetool-uncompressed.py usage : imagetool-uncompressed.py <kernel
> > image>
> > pi@picnc:/media/pi/workpi1/tools-master/mkimage $
> >
> > Am I supposed to setup an alias to run that "in place" or what?
> >
> > Where do I find and install that on an rpi-3b running raspian
> > stretch, uptodate?
> >
> > Or better yet, your version of stretch for an rpi-3b that includes
> > armhf versions of all these tools in "build-essential"?
>
> https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=mkimage&;
>mode=exactfilename&suite=stable&arch=any
>
> Regards,

Thank you very much, Robert, got that, and vagrant both installed on the
pi!

With vagrant, as used by a small program kit called RealtimePi, I just
found an hour back, the claim is made it will build an installable to an
u-sd card, a realtime patched version of the system contained in a std
raspian.zip install placed in the same directory. But I'll make one more
pass at 4.19.50-rt22 first as thats a hair newer yet. That takes around
3 to 4 hours on the pi. :(  Realtime claims a bit over 6 hours for their
realtime build using vagrant.  So we may try both. :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis